Friday, November 26, 2010

DOGS CAN DETECT CANCER



The book, 'Paws & Effects' written by Sharon Sakson explains the healing power of dogs and real life stories of peoples pets being able to sniff out cancer in them. Through a dogs incredible sense of smell they are able to sense cancer and other illnesses in the human body.

One example in the book includes one dog that began to scratch and bite at its owner's mole (which turned out to be cancerous). Another example is when another dog went up to a man with heart trouble and rested on his chest.

There are even dogs that are trained to respond to those humans suffering from seizures, and one of the other points the book mentions is the importance of that human-dog bond and how more often than not, it is the dog which chooses the person and not the other way around.

Just to give a bit of my own background, there is no denial of dogs’ abilities when it comes to aiding humans. From their keen instincts to aiding the blind, dogs have certainly proven themselves to be worthy of the title of “man’s best friend”. Yet for me, cats have always been more mysterious and natural hunters and so for that, as well as their independence, they have always fascinated me more on a personal level. I can’t say that I’ve ever experienced any deep bond with a dog but I have experienced many with cats and I am no less an animal lover. I can certainly empathize with those who love their dogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment